Saturday, May 12, 2007

Slippery Sand

Now a few words about sand. Not what you find at the beach but the kind that lingers in layers on our roads every spring. It may just be me but I think there’s more of it after this winter than other years. I know the town is in the process of sweeping it up. Some of it should be gone by now but until it's all been swept you should be aware of the problems it can cause.

It’s can make walking difficult at the side of the road. And it certainly isn’t easy pushing a stroller though the piles of sand. But it can also be dangerous, especially if you’re riding a bicycle. I’ve heard of one accident this spring where a cyclist tumbled off his bike on a curve and ended up in hospital. It was most likely a result of loosing control in the sand. So until it’s all cleaned up, ride with caution. By the way, car tires can also slide on sand.

I’d like to know what they do with all that sand leftover from the winter and if it can be used again next year. I’m going to try and find out the answer.

No comments: