Thursday, May 10, 2007

Garage Sale Season

I’ve said it many times before but I’m not a shopper. Going to the store is usually something I don’t enjoy. The same is true when that store is other people’s lawns and garages. We’re into the flea market season now. You can’t go very far on a Saturday morning without seeing parked cars along the road and crowds of people heading up a driveway to pick through stuff.

Last Saturday morning my wife and I took our granddaughter out for a walk in the stroller. We hadn’t gone far before we hit our first garage sale. I can’t say I was dragged in because I agreed to it but before I knew it I found myself along with everyone else picking through other peoples junk. I don’t mean to say there wasn’t anything good to be found there but to me it is junk. I have a basement full of crap I’d love to get rid of and probably a lot of it would be scooped up at a garage sale. That’s my biggest problem with lawn sales. I’ve got enough of my own junk and I don’t feel like adding to it with other peoples.

Now I know you can find some gems at these sales. And I like getting a bargain just like anybody else. And I realize a lot of people love these yard sales and plan their Saturday mornings around them. Just so long as I don’t have to go. But I know they’re very popular so here’s what I’ll do. If you have a yard sale coming up in Grand Bay-Westfield or the River Valley area send me an email with the details at midwoodmedia@gmail.com and I’ll post a weekly garage sale update on the blog at rivervalleyrambler.com.

By the way I was in need of a handsaw and I found three of them at that yard sale. I got them all for three bucks and that’s a deal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.