Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Bears, Bugs and Bambi

Finally spring is beginning to feel like spring, maybe even a little like summer. The temperature is getting higher. We're even seeing some sunshine on occasion. The grass is growing and leaves are bursting out. Life is returning after the winter. And that means the critters are back and they want to play.

I was out for one of my regular runs a few days ago. I usually take a short cut through that little path in the woods between Woolastook Drive and the middle school. I was coming through there, head down concentrating on my footing as it was a little muddy when I looked up and saw the rear end of a white-tail a few metres away. I almost ran into two deer standing in the middle of the path. I startled them as much as they surprised me because as soon as we locked eyes, they tore off into the woods. It was just a matter of a few seconds before they completely disappeared in the foliage. It was cool going for a run in the neighbourhood and almost bumping into a deer. But I'm sure that gardeners in the area feel differently about Bambi and her buddies after they’ve devoured flowers and other plants growing in the garden.

Deer aren't the only critters on the prowl in Grand Bay-Westfield. Neighbours of mine are complaining that a bear or bears are back. They've gotten into the garbage and made a nuisance of themselves. The bears were a problem last summer in the Valley View and Morningside area and Natural Resources set a trap. This spring there have been a number of complaints from the same area and DNR is likely going to bring back the trap. The bears are only doing what comes naturally to them. And if there's garbage in containers they can get at it’s exactly what they do. I've been told that compost is also a big attraction for the creatures and given the collection schedule of both compost and garbage it means that the stuff is being stored sometimes for a long period. If it isn't kept inside a shed it can prove to be an enticing attraction for the bears. DNR suggests that getting rid of the garbage and the compost may get rid of the bear problem.

Moose are back in full force, not in the community but on the highway. My son is doing a lot of travelling between Fredericton and here and almost every time he's on highway 7 he sees a moose. Drivers beware and slow down.

When it comes to summer critters though it isn't the furry variety that gets me scratching. The black flies are here and they're hungry as usual. These pests chew through your skin until you bleed and then they lap up your blood. It sounds disgusting and it is. They'll be around for a few more weeks and they'll get worse before they get better. Long ago I vowed I wouldn't let those pests prevent me from enjoying the outdoors. But I refuse to get eaten alive. So the only solution is bug dope and it works. I hate smearing the stuff on but if you don't want to be trapped indoors it's the only solution.

Next come those other flying bloodsuckers, the mosquitoes. I never find them as irritating as black flies, maybe because we don't seem to be plagued by them as badly. But I know how uncomfortable they can make things. Again the bug dope is probably your best bet. Also wear light coloured clothing and cover up as much as possible. With mosquitoes it's best to restrict outdoor activities to the daytime and avoid early morning and dusk when the insects are most active. Also get rid of any standing water in your yard. Mosquitoes breed anywhere there is water, in old tires, wheel-barrels and old pots. Dump out all the water and do it now before they start to breed.

And last of all; remember how many spiders there were last summer? They were everywhere and they were huge. I've already seen a few this spring. They look bigger than they should be. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

No comments: