Saturday, April 14, 2007

New Favourite Place


I’ve heard someone call it ‘her new favourite place to shop’. It’s been a favourite of many from the west side and the river valley for years. It’s Olson’s Meats and Produce on Lancaster Ave. I was in there today, a Saturday and I couldn’t believe the people. They were lining up in the parking lot to find a space to park and they were shoulder to shoulder inside the tiny store. I’ve only been in the place a handful of times but every time I’m there it’s crowded like that. There’s probably a good reason for it.

One can find things in there you can’t get anywhere else. I looked at a package of something today and didn’t have a clue what it was. I think some kind of battered or salted fish, but I’m not sure. Whatever it was it looked good. The cheese selection is great, the meat is fresh and the prices are pretty good. Anytime we’ve been there we’ve found some real deals. This time it was precooked, packaged turkey that you’d pay triple for elsewhere.

I’m not a shopper but I like going in there just to look around. It reminds me of an old-fashioned neighbourhood store, the way shopping used to be before the era of malls. You can actually smell the food in there. And you can get just about anything you want. Easy to see why it can become someone’s new favourite place to shop. Now if it just wasn’t so crowed all the time.

No comments: