Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Harbour Bridge Holdup

I guess I've been spoiled because I rarely have to deal with traffic congestion during my daily commute between Grand Bay-Westfield and Saint John. My travel times are usually before or after rush hour. The other day I left for home around 4:30. What a mistake.

Harbour Bridge is down to a single lane in both directions. It took me about 25 minutes just to get over to the west side. My impatience was part of the problem. Once I discovered the Chesley Street ramp to the bridge was closed, I decided to try the Reversing Falls Bridge. Another mistake. It was bumper to bumper. It took almost ten minutes just to get to Green Lee Shoes where in an impulsive act of frustration I turned off, drove up to Douglas Ave. and back to the closest open ramp to the Harbour Bridge. What followed was more bumper to bumper waiting. Like I said, it took a good 20 or 25 minutes to get out of Saint John. I don't think I ever experienced that before and I wasn't prepared for it. For me it's usually a non-stop commute both ways.

Work on the Harbour Bridge is continuing all summer. I guess I'll have to learn to be more patient and not to leave work early.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also have been caught up in the 4:30 pm traffic caused by the work on the Harbour Bridge. I find it frustrating , but I cannot help but remember a few years ago (30 to be exact) when I lived in Hampton and Worked downtown. This was before the divided highway to Hampton and before the throughway was finished. It would take me 30 minutes to get from Charlotte St provincial Building to the end of Rothesay Ave and then another 30 minutes to get from there to Hampton. I remember quickly adjusting and looking at this time as decompression time at the end of a busy day. I listened a lot to CBC radio as well.

Today I do not feel the same way about the slow traffic. My sense of frustration is much more intense. Knwoing that it can take only 5 minutes to go from downtown to the West Side and that it now takes 30 is the problem. back in the mid 70's we accepted a slow drive to hampton because we did not know that it could be better!!