Monday, May 7, 2007

Fun at the Fundraiser

I found myself crowded together on a recent Saturday night with close to 200 other people from Grand Bay-Westfield in a little pub on the west side. It was a fundraiser for the running track at River Valley Middle School. It was crowded. You had to be patient waiting for a drink. The auction went on a little too long. But the food was good and everyone I spoke to had a great time. And a nice chunk of money was raised for a worthy community project.

But more than that, this event brought people together in a way that hasn’t happened since the last of those community dances at the arena. A number of people said how much fun it was and how it reminded them of those dances. I can’t remember when the last one was. I know there weren’t enough people attending to make it worthwhile. Those big dances were essentially fundraisers for the River Valley Community Centre. When people showed up, like they did to the early dances, they were huge successes and a lot of fun. We don’t have many opportunities to come together as a community in a social environment like that. I think most people at the track fundraiser came away thinking it might be time to give a dance at the arena another try. I know I’d go.

No comments: