Saturday, March 17, 2007

Spring Fling at Poley



I know you’re probably getting tired of reading about skiing. But the season is almost over and locally at least much of the snow on the trails is already gone. We’re getting some new snow this weekend but it’s supposed to turn to rain. Spring in New Brunswick! That’s why earlier in the week I planned to go where I knew the snow was going to be good. On Tuesday, probably the nicest day of the week with 10-degree temperatures and sunshine, I packed up my downhill skis and drove to Poley Mountain.

The spring skiing was fabulous. All 23 trails were open although the rocks were already showing through on some of the back trails. Thanks to the courteous staff at the desk I even got a deal on the lift ticket. It was a ‘2 for the price of 1’ day and I ended up sharing the cost of the ticket with another fellow who like me, snuck away for an afternoon of skiing on a beautiful day.

I mainly skied by myself. It’s nice doing that sometimes. There were no lift lines and I got a lot of runs in that day on just about all the trails. There were some new steep ones cut through the trees that I hadn’t tried before. That was fun.

I got to meet some interesting people too. In the chairlift on the way up the hill I discussed the state of municipal taxes with a skier from Shediac. I rode up with a young couple from Halifax who were at Poley enjoying the Nova Scotia March break. They told me the skiing was much better here than at home. I also rode up with a couple of kids from PEI who were here on a school trip. They were first time skiers and both of them lost one ski while they were getting on the chair. Don’t ask me how they did it. All the way up they kept asking me how to get off the chairlift with only one ski. They did it successfully.

It was a fantastic day and one of the few times I’ve downhill skied this year. It’s likely going to be my last too. It was a great way to end the season

No comments: