Friday, August 29, 2008

Take the Bus or Scooter

"I have a limo that's 40-feet long". Go ahead... sing the rest of it. I know you know that jingle. I took the new Commuter Express Bus into the city the other day for the first time. It was the 8:40 morning run and there were six of us on the bus. I know it's summer but I expected a bigger crowd, especially considering the price we're paying for gas. First let me say I'm not going to lecture anyone because I don't use the Comex either. I know I should but I don't, unless I'm forced to. That morning one of the cars was in the garage and I had no other way of getting into the city. It's perfect if you don't have a car or if you're tired of filling the tank of your SUV or if you have to pay big bucks for parking. These circumstances don't apply to me so I'll probably continue driving my old, not so bad on gas consumption, Saturn to my free parking spot in town. But the Grand Bay-Westfield numbers don't look good.

During one week in June, 347 rides were counted from Grand Bay-Westfield to and from Saint John. That's way down compared to 1019 rides on the KV Express and 931 from Hampton. But all ridership on the Comex service is up over the last three months by about 25% and that's good news for Saint John Transit. But the skyrocketing gas price that is forcing people on the bus is also driving up operating costs for public transit. It's already $300,000 over budget for fuel this year and if this continues it could be half a million in the hole by Christmas. If that happens what options does Saint John Transit have? It doesn't want to do it but it could raise the bus fare. Right now at $3.00 a pop it's the best transportation deal going. Or maybe they'd look at all the routes and cut out the weakest one to save money, the one with the least passengers, the Grand Bay-Westfield Express. No one has said this or even hinted at it but given the amount of money involved you have to think it might be an option they'd look at. Like I said, I'm not preaching here because I'm guilty too of driving my car every day but I sure wish more of us would take the bus because in the long term we just can't afford to lose it.

Everywhere you look people are doing what they can to beat the high fuel prices. Gas-busting scooters are selling like hot cakes. I went over to see Mark Anderson and Wendy Spencer at Cruisers Custom Cycle in Martinon. They carry a line of made in China scooters that range from the 'no motorcycle license required' 49 cc model to the more powerful 150 cc. I took a little one for a test drive and found it fairly peppy and a whole lot of fun. They start at under $2000 and have a top speed of about 70 kph, great for running around town but not meant for the highway. A few dollars will fill the tank and keep you going for miles and miles. But these scooters are not toys. Even though you're allowed to operate the 49 cc model with just your regular drivers license you should still take a safety course. These are after all, low powered motorcycles that share the road with big trucks and you should know how to protect yourself.

People are even riding electric bicycles these days. I was kidding a friend of mine who has one because he also runs and does long distance cycling on a road bike. But I saw him half peddling-half letting the electric motor carry him along on this high tech looking bike and kidding aside, I liked it immediately. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but given the ever increasing price of gas, I'm sure I will soon.

No comments: