Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Snow in June


We were out walking one warm evening recently and I thought I saw snow gently falling from the sky. I knew it wasn't but if you squinted a little, it could almost be snow. The wind that night was making it 'snow' dandelion seeds. They seemed to be falling everywhere. I was delighted.


Now most people would look upon dandelion seeds blowing in the wind and feel much the same as if it were real snow falling in June. They'd see the seeds as a plague, spreading the dreaded weed throughout the community. They'd be right because that's how nature spreads the plant. But I see these seeds floating through the air as proof that people are using less pesticide and herbicide on their lawns and I see that as a good thing. It's not that I love dandelions. I also sometimes get a little annoyed when the stems stick back up above the grass just a couple of days after I've mowed the lawn. But I'm getting better at just accepting that as the natural way my lawn is. I know pesticide is not the answer.

Dr. Robin Walker was speaking in Saint John recently. He's vice president of medicine at the IWK Health Centre in Halifax and a professor of pediatrics at Dalhousie University. He was invited here by the Canadian Cancer Society which is lobbying for a ban on the use and sale of cosmetic pesticides in New Brunswick.

"There is sufficient evidence to conclude that pesticide exposure can be harmful to children," Dr. Walker said. "Research suggests that some of the substances found in pesticides may increase a child's risk of cancer, as well as have neurological and reproductive effects."

The doctor says the science shows a link between pesticide use and a risk of cancer. He isn't opposed to pesticide use when there is some kind of tangible benefit to be gained, such as in some agricultural applications or to control the spread of disease bearing insects. But he draws the live when it comes to purely cosmetic use. He says even if the risk is extremely low it just isn't worth exposing our children to potentially dangerous chemicals just so our lawn is green and dandelion free. It just doesn't make sense.

And people are beginning to realize this. According to a poll commissioned by the Canadian Cancer Society, in November, 2007, 70 per cent of New Brunswickers support a ban on the cosmetic use of pesticides, while 79 per cent believe pesticides used for lawn and garden maintenance have the potential to pose a health risk to people. Ontario and Quebec already have bans on cosmetic pesticide use in place.

Now when I go for a walk around town and I see that perfect, weed free, green lawn I tend to stay clear and cross to the other side of the street. As beautiful as it looks there is a sense that something unhealthy and dangerous is lurking underneath. In fact, those perfect lawns are becoming less attractive to me all the time. I much prefer a lawn with a good mix of grass and clover and yes even the dreaded dandelion. For me it's a sign of a healthy lawn, a place where children and pets and adults too are welcome and safe to play.

No comments: