Sunday, February 24, 2008

Outdoor Tidbits


I have some outdoors related information to pass on. There's a rumour going around about plans for a dirt bike track in the area. None of this has been confirmed but the location is thought to be somewhere out back of highway 7 near the exit that brings you to the flashing light. If it is true and depending on what form it takes, I know it's going to cause concern for some people. We all know about the controversy created by the motocross track in West Saint John.

I also have a little news about the Loch Alva Protected Area. A committee is busy looking at access and land use issues. I know a chunk of what was initially included as protected has been cut loose from the designation because of mining interests in the area. Once that happens forestry companies are allowed to cut in the area. There is fear on the part of some people that this wedge of formerly protected area may soon be clear cut. It's unfortunate because this is one of the more accessible areas for people living in Grand Bay-Westfield. It's also home to many camps and recreational trails. It would be a shame to see this area cut. I'll keep you posted.

And finally a comment from someone who used to live in the area concerning a column I wrote recently about the disappearing access to woods trails. This email came from Karen Gorham. She writes, "I just read about your disappearing trails. That is so sad. I grew up near Crystal Beach. I do like the outdoors. I have never been to Spencer’s camp. I now live in Ontario, but come home often. I enjoy going bird watching in NB. I hope something can be done about the disappearing trails and about the garbage that is left around."

Thanks for the feedback. If you have any comments, community news or events, photos or anything of interest to people in this area that you want to pass along, email them to rivervalleyrambler@inbox.com.



No comments: