Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Rivers and Runs

It was hot and humid in Saint John today and I expected the same when I headed home to GBW. Instead the wind picked up and the temperature started dropping. The clouds rolled in and by the time I got in the house I started closing windows. I don't know what gives with the weather anymore but I'll take the heat anytime I can get it. Had it been as nice as it was this afternoon I likely would have taken the kayak to Westfield Beach for an evening paddle. You can do things like come home from work and paddle for an hour when you live in a place like this. I know people in Toronto who would love to be able to do that.

So no fun on the river tonight but the old St. John is looking good. I was at the ferry landing a couple of days ago and the new development is looking good too. The building is up although not yet finished. The parking lot is paved and the landscaping is underway. The new river centre is supposed to open some time in July. I'm still not sure exactly what will be in there initially. I know the town's tourist information centre is vacating the caboose and moving into the new river centre or trailhead building or whatever it's officially being called. I hear eventually there will be some food services in there. And a kayak/canoe rental operation is also supposed to be somewhere on site. Whatever it houses it'll be a welcome addition to the community.

If you're coming on July 1st for the Canada Day Half Marathon you can check out the new development as you run by the ferry landing. The run this year promises to be bigger and better than ever. Organizers are hoping for 500 entries. As usual the run begins and ends at the River Valley Community Centre. In addition to the half marathon, 10k and 5k there will be a special nordic walking category in the 10 k event. Nordic walking is walking with the help of poles. It's the newest fitness craze because it also gives your arms and upper body a good workout. And of course the 5 and 10 k events are also open to walkers so you don't have to be a runner to participate. The race begins at 9:00 am with the awards ceremony scheduled for 11:30. All the money raised this year goes to support the building of a running track at River Valley Middle School.

So it doesn't get any better than celebrating Canada Day with a run by the river in Grand Bay-Westfield and then going for a paddle or a swim in the river. My Toronto friends are jealous.

No comments: